Monday 31 August 2015

Hear what I'm not saying

Upon my strolls on some of the past readings I did, I stumbled upon this and I thought I would just share. Maybe help those who would want to be heard.


Don't be fooled by me.
Don't be fooled by the mask I wear.
For I wear a mask.
I wear a thousand masks.
Masks that I'm afraid to take off,
& none of them is me.
Pretending is an art
That is second nature with me,
But don't be fooled.




I give the impressions that I'm secure,
That all is sunny & unruffled with me.
Within as well as without.
That confidence is my name
& coolness is my game.
That the waters are calm
& I'm in command & I need no one.
But don't believe it. Please don't.

I idly chatter with you
In the suave tones of surface talk.
I tell you everything,
That's really nothing,
Nothing of what's really within me.
So when I'm going through my routine,
Don't be fooled by what I'm saying.

Please listen carefully
& try to hear what I'm not saying.
What I'd like to be able to say;
What for survival; I need to say
But I can't say.
I dislike the hiding.
Honestly I do.
I dislike the superficial phony games I'm playing.

I'd really like to be genuine,
Spontaneous & me;
But you have to help me.
By holding out your hand,
Even when that's the last thing
I seem to want or need.
Each time you're kind & gentle & encouraging,
Each time you try to understand
Because you really care,
My heart begins to grow wings.

Very small wings. Very feeble wings.
But wings.
With your sensitivity
& power of understanding,
I can make it.
You can breathe life into me.
It will not be easy for you.
A long conviction of worthlessness
Builds strong walls.

But love is stronger than walls,
& there in, lies my hope.
Beat down those walls,
With firm but gentle hands
For a child is very sensitive,
& I am a child.

Who am I?
You may wonder.
For I am every man,
Every woman,
Every child.
Every human you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment